ACF Foresters of North Carolina
Discover how a Forest Consultant can help landowners and communities
To advance the practice of professional consulting forestry.
The Association of Consulting Foresters (ACF) was founded to advance the professionalism, ethics and interests of….
Our Code of Ethics
These canons formulate the guiding principles of professional conduct for ACF Consulting Foresters in their relations with …
Why Choose Us
What is a Consulting Forester?
A consulting forest is an independent natural resource professional who has…
Find an AFC Forester
To find an AFC Forester that consults in your county in North Carolina, click on the link below to search for a Forester by county…
WHAT IS A CONSULTING FORESTER?
A consulting forest is an independent natural resource professional who has accrued the education and experience necessary to provide forestry services to the public on a fee or contractual basis.
A consulting forester represents, for a fee, the best interests of their clients in all matters concerning the forest. As an independent consulting forester, they work solely in the interest of their client. They do not have an allegiance to a specific timber company, nor do they act as timber dealers who buy stumpage from a landowner and then sell it at a higher price.
In a general sense, a consulting forester is to a woodland owner what an architect is to a home builder. He provides the landowner with designs, recommendations and possibilities to achieve the owner’s objectives for the property. They are also like a financial planner; in that they evaluate your forest (your portfolio) and help you maximize their returns through activities that will enhance or improve their growth or achieve your objectives. Some low producing forests will be liquidated or improved to make room for more aggressive growth and economic returns.
NOT ALL FORESTERS ARE CONSULTING FORESTERS
Prior to 1989 anyone – regardless of qualifications – anyone could call themselves a “consulting forester” in North Carolina. Since then, state law (General Statute 89-B) defines a “consulting forester” as one who:
- Is registered by the State Board of Registration for Foresters;
- Is a college-educated or has passed a written exam administered by the board;
- Is governed by a Code of Ethics;
- Is competent to practice forestry for the benefit of society; and
- Has not engaged in any practice that would constitute a conflict of interest or would in any way diminish his ability to represent the best interests of his clients.
HOW AN ACF CONSULTING FORESTER CAN BENEFIT YOU AND YOUR LAND:
- Enhance your property values.
- Increase the value of your timber.
- Produce a more sustainable timber harvest.
- Enhance wildlife habitat.
- Establish and protect your family’s forest legacy.
WHO NEEDS AN ACF CONSULTING FORESTER?
Some of those who need the professional advice provided by ACF consulting foresters are:
- FOREST LANDOWNERS: To plan the management and best use of their land and timber resources to suit their individual needs and objectives.
- ATTORNEYS: To provide their clients with documentation establishing the facts in legal proceedings such as estate division and timber trespass.
- LAND DEVELOPERS: To help with tree protection prior to and during construction to maintain future real estate values.
- LAND APPRAISERS AND REAL ESTATE AGENTS: To provide an accurate appraisal of timber volume and value on a subject property.
- BANKERS AND ACCOUNTANTS: To help with the management of their landowner clients’ financial resources. Provide timber appraisals at time of purchase to establish a new landowners timber basis in the property for future tax savings.